What Should You Do Following a Car Accident in Stockton?

Car accidents in Stockton, California, can occur for any number of reasons, including the classic drunk driving. Gunning the engine and weaving in and out of lanes are two other ways to cause an accident. Regardless of what happened, if you are involved in an accident it’s important to know what to do next. 

One of the essential things to do after being involved in a car accident in Stockton is to hire a Stockton car accident attorney. It is because dealing with the aftermath of a car accident may not be always that easy. In those times, a car accident lawyer can come handy and help you get things done without any stress.

Here is a step-wise guide on what to do following a car accident in Stockton.

  • Call the police

Police will be the first people to respond and will help you with whatever the need. They can offer advice by telling you what to do and takes care of any paperwork. You can also inform them about the insurance policy if you have one and provide important details like who was involved in the accident and what happened.

  • Check upon yourself and co-passengers and get emergency medical care, if required

Once the police come, they will advise you on what to do. However, if there are injuries or other injuries, you need to check on yourself and the other people involved in the accident. They can either offer some basic first aid or direct you to a nearby hospital for emergency medical care. If there is an injury that needs immediate attention, you need to go ahead without delay and don’t worry about any insurance paperwork.

  • Collect evidence

After the police and emergency medical care, you will be left with more paperwork. You will have to collect evidence of the accident to help your case. Collecting the evidence doesn’t mean that you should move any vehicles or touch anything. First of all, you need to take pictures of any visible damage on either of the cars involved. Take pictures of your surroundings for reference too, like street signs and traffic signals.

  • Consult an attorney

Even after collecting the evidence, it is always a good idea to consult an attorney. The lawyer will help you with legal advice and paperwork. They can also let you know what to do in case the other party files a reparation claim.

Posted in Law