On-road mishaps in Albuquerque often lead to unprecedented outcomes. You shouldn’t have to endure injuries and losses because of someone’s fault, but when that happens, you have the right to seek compensation. Car accidents are unfortunate but often preventable. New Mexico is a fault state, which means that the party responsible for the crash is liable for your losses. Winning a claim, however, could be a long, complicated process, and it is best to hire a car crash lawyer Albuquerque for your case. Here are some key things to know.
Filing car accident injury lawsuits
You have to file your injury lawsuit within three years from the accident date. This time limit has been set by New Mexico’s statute of limitations. If you want to sue for vehicle damage, your deadline would be four years. While three years may look like a considerably longer time, you should act immediately, or you may lose valuable evidence. These deadlines are not applicable to insurance claims.
What to do after a car crash in Albuquerque?
You have to follow a few standard steps after an accident –
- Call 911 and get medical assistance for the injured.
- Inform the local law enforcement and wait at the scene.
- Take photos and videos of your injuries and the accident scene.
- Note down details of witnesses.
- Exchange insurance and contact info with involved drivers.
- Inform your insurance company
Is it worth hiring a car crash lawyer?
The short answer is yes. People often believe that getting a settlement is all about just filing a claim. Insurance companies never empathize with victims, and you cannot expect them to give you a fair offer without any negotiation. If you hire a car crash lawyer, they will take care of the critical aspects. An attorney will –
- Gather evidence to support your claim.
- Talk to witnesses and get statements.
- Help file the claim without any lapses.
- Talk to accident reconstruction services if needed.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Negotiate with the claims adjuster.
- File a civil lawsuit when the settlement offer is unacceptable.
You have to understand that accident claims are inherently complex, and if you had a role in causing the crash, the other party would use that against you. A car crash lawyer can help recover the settlement that you should get for the losses you have suffered.
You can check online for top law firms in Albuquerque, and don’t forget to ask for a free assessment.